>Considering that ULFA does not recognize India's rule over Assam, it
>makes all the sense in the world to them to not allow an occupying
>power to interfere in the elections of its state.

Huh! So, it now seems that inspite of ULFA NOT recognizing Indian
rule, they are still interested in an election conducted and
participated by the Indians.

So, the more important question would be, how does it matter who wins
the elections in Assam to ULFA? Is the ULFA fielding some candidates
too, and that too an election managed and mandated by the Chief
Election Commissioner of India.
In the end, the ULFA seems to want to behave like another 'political
party' in India (albeit an extreme one).