C'da,

>Because Rajib Das did not find any reference to it in the
> Assam Govt. web-site.

Why would Sanjib Barua's stats be the only ones to glean from? And
where do you think he would have got them?

My guess would be: the Assam Govt. (Statistical Year Book, the
published budgets, Home Ministry), and India Govt. (Home Ministry,
Year Books, and Budget figures).

He may have had some ancilliary resources, but those above would be
the main one.

And that is the same place where Rajib went to - the Assam Govt.

I don't see the difference. Now, maybe, people interpret numbers the
way they like it .

**** No he did not. Primarily because he can think a whole lot better
than those who would ask such questions.

I have all the respect for Sanjib Baruah, and its great he has written
a number of books, but some of us, common folks can come up with short
spurts of brilliance too :)

I think Rajib's question is a very valid one. If SB did not deal with
such questions, then off-the-bat it would indicate that his writings
are biased - specially when his topics deal with insurgency.

Yes, what are the costs of insurgency (in terms of  private sector jobs)?

- here is one major one (if you or SB missed it):

While profits are a big pull, in the end, its all about long-term
security, and because of insurgency related matters, no big business
(in India or abroad) is breaking down doors to get into Assam to
invest.

Can you answer this, in the last 20 odd years, how many big industries
(private sector) have opened up in Assam?  I am more concerned with
something like auto/scooter/watch/garment manufacturing business.

--Ram