John

Your post managed to fire off a long unused neuron and I - you know, the
when-all-else-fails option - took a look in the manual, the one describing
what the emulator is supposed to be emulating.

It may have opened up the cerebral pathway that Paul Gilmartin expressed
himself earlier in tones which could be taken as derogatory regarding 3270
architecture.

Anyhow, here is what I thought I remembered from the 3174 Establishment
Controller Functional Description, GA23-0218-11:

http://publibfp.dhe.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/cn7a7003/2.4.4.3

<quote>

2.4.4.3 Using Insert Mode with Null/Space Processing

Null/space processing has a feature that is especially useful in Insert
mode. Without null/space processing, when a character string is followed by
blanks to the end of a field, characters could be inserted only if those
blanks were actually nulls. Spaces at the end of a field had to be changed
to nulls before Insert could be used. With null/space processing, those
blanks at the end of a field can be either nulls or spaces. Insert mode
works with either.

When null/space processing is active and a character is inserted on an
unformatted screen, only the characters between the cursor and the end of
the screen are shifted to the right. Characters cannot be wrapped past the
end of the screen because null-to-space conversions have already been
performed on all nulls before the cursor. In fact, with null/space
processing active, all leading nulls and embedded nulls within the text are
actually converted to spaces before Insert mode is activated.

</quote>

In other words, converting useless blanks to nulls is *not* some wizard
wheeze dreamed up by an emulator programmer geek but simply an emulator
doing what it says on the box.

And, by the way, it is even more "insert-friendly" than Paul Gilmartin
wanted. I wonder if your emulator "feature" is as solicitous.

Chris Mason