Yes, that resetting annoyed me for a long time as well.  I finally figured
out that ISPF EDIT only keeps a limited number of profiles (if you enter
PROF during an EDIT session, it lists the profile name as the first word on
the first line).  By default, these are based on the last qualifier of the
dataset being edited.  Once you hit the limit, it starts discarding "old"
profiles thereby losing your saved setting for those datasets.
To get around this, I put my settings in ZDEFAULT (which I believe, does
not ever get discarded) and specified ZDEFAULT on the "Profile name" field
on the EDIT entry panel so EDIT always uses that single profile.  I also
updated all my REXX execs that invoke EDIT to obtain this profile value and
pass it to the EDIT service.

ROBERT NGAN
CSC Financial Services Group

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

  |John Walker <jwalker...@yahoo.com>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

  |ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

  |2011/01/31 14:47

|------------>
| Subject:   |

  |Re: ASSEMBLER-LIST Digest - 20 Jan 2011 to 21 Jan 2011 (#2011-11)

Say, I have been noticing over the last year or so that i FREQUENTLY end up
with my edit setting set to NULLS ON.  This is an annoying and aberrant
setting for any non-PC or non-unix use, which is to say ALL mainframe
applications and work.  However, when I set it to off, it ends up being
reset somehow by ISPF.  It seems that sometimes I am not even in browse or
edit and it still does it.  How can I reset this obvious over-riding
default which I dislike?