Gerhard Postpischil wrote:

<begin snippet>
In general I tend to agree with this, but I've worked or consulted at
installations that either had problems completing overnight jobs in
their assigned batch window, or just processing large amounts of data.
</end snippet>

I value GP's concurrence.  Let me add, however, that 1) in my
experience batch-window problems are always i/o-related; and 2) the
unwashed always attack them in the wrong way, devoting resources to
"optimizing" instruction sequences that, even if it had been possible
to reduce their CP consumption to zero, would have left the
batch-window problem unresolved.

These applications, like most commercial batch ones, were i/o-bound,
and their resolution required the use of overlapped, asynchronous i/o,
which, for those who know how to do it, is not difficult.  What it
was/is in most of these shops was/is, quite literally, unthinkable.
(The RESIDENCE time of a classical MFU can always be cut by a factor
of four or more using asynchronous i/o.)

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA