Saying that "... sub-optimizing of this sort is, I think, evidence of a
pervasive malaise..." is a short sighted generalization.

Performance is one of the strongest reasons for coding in assembler and
this discussion characterizes some of the low hanging fruit available for
the attainment thereof.

The timing differences can be quite significant when the code in question
is embedded in a routine that is executed 100 billion times.

Kerry Tenberg
Austin, Tx