On Nov 1, 2012, at 23:49, robin wrote:

>> Here I see no evidence of clustering.
>
> There won't be.
> All the data is uniformly distributed.
>
> Real data is not uniform.

OK.  I'm starting to understand.  But can you be more
specific?  Narrow down the definitions of "real" and
"not uniform"

For example, if I I choose the prime divison 37, advocated
by JG, and my real data are "not uniform" but their density
happens to correlate with a periodicity of 37, I will get
adverse clustering with that modulus.

I suppose JG's assertion (and yours) is a consequence of
some postulate such as "'Real data' are unlikely to exhibit
a periodicity of a(ny) prime number, but more likely to
exhibit a periodicity which is a composite number."  Is
this intuitive (can you motivate me?) or empirical (can
you cite the observations?)

I grant that the non-uniformity of "real data" is the reason
that compression techniques work.  The Kolmogorov complexity
of uniform data is itself.

-- gil