From: Rich Long <xmann...@yahoo.com>
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:54 PM
Subject: Moves and others

Issue I am facing - reading fixed length records, then searching for a fixed
length character string.  Once I
find that string, there is a need to check the next 8 bytes to see how much
data follows.  It could
be 1-8 characters in length.  Finding the fixed piece is easy enough.  When
checking the variable
part, I check for a blank.  If non-blank, I need to save that byte into an 8
character field for
use later.  Having an issue saving off the one character at a time.  Trying to
use an index
register to keep track of the 8 byte field, so I know where to put the next
byte, if necessary.
It doesnt't like the move - MVC 0(1,R5),0(R9).  R5 is supposed to be tracking
the 8 byte field
location, and R9 is the input record.  LA R5,WORKAREA was used to point at the
8 byte field.
I will then need to do another move of this variable length field to an output
record.
It's sort of along the same line, moving the variable length field (1-8
characters) in the
middle of some other fields.  So will need to keep track of the locations.  Any
pointers would
be most appreciated.