On 2015-10-15, at 16:01, David de Jongh wrote:

> The problem I found was that overlapping moves (to perform array
> initialization, for example) no longer worked.  I (and no doubt many others)
> flew into a rage after looking at the object code and realizing that there
> was no test for the overlapping move condition.  It was changed in a
> subsequent PTF, but by then it was too late - we had replaced the offending
> code with PERFORM loops.
> David de Jongh

What does the Standard say?  Various languages have different
treatment of overlapping operations, such as:

o The construct is an error (but IBM's COBOL had not been reporting that).

o The operation is performed sequentially, element-by-element (sometimes
  the documentation includes pseudocode).

o The operation is performed as if the entire source is accessed before
  any change is made to the target.

o Or, even (ugh), undefined, implementation defined, implementation
  dependent, hardware model dependent, or the standard doesn't
  mention the topic.

-- gil