To partially answer your question, Jim Elliott's page is useful for
obtaining the timeline for the various machines.  Principles of Operation
will tell you which facility (if any) is required to use an instruction by
listing an operation-exception entry in the Program Exceptions section of
the instruction description; and Chapter 1 will tell you when that facility
was first released.

- mb

IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu> wrote on
12/11/2013 05:01:36 PM: