Since a COD upgrade is "one event" that alters the field, it seems reasonable
to conclude that there are other events that also alter the field.  Your code
may be making a false assumption.

Does your program check the return code after calling the CSRSI service?

The Knowledge Center (at
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.ieaa700/CSRSI_Description.htm)
identifies conditions under which the field is not valid.  Do any of these
conditions apply to your customer?