On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> Absent EX how do you do a variable length PACK or MVO or ...

​I said that I didn't _like_ EX. Not that I didn't _use_ it. I'd prefer to
"synthesize" an instruction into a 64 bit GPR​ and then "EX" the contents
of the GPR. That would allow me to do more than just modify the value in
second byte of the instruction. I understand why EX exists (just as you
have pointed out) and why it does what it does. But a more generalized
facility would be, to me, "nicer". But, in reality (which stinks in some
ways), I understand that IBM won't create a new instruction "because John
thinks it would be nice". [grin]

--
Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of
selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless. -- Sinclair Lewis

Maranatha! <><
John McKown