From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of John McKown
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 11:39 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Performance of Decimal Floating Point Instruction

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> Absent EX how do you do a variable length PACK or MVO or ...

​I said that I didn't _like_ EX. Not that I didn't _use_ it. I'd prefer to
"synthesize" an instruction into a 64 bit GPR​ and then "EX" the contents of
the GPR. That would allow me to do more than just modify the value in second
byte of the instruction. I understand why EX exists (just as you have pointed
out) and why it does what it does. But a more generalized facility would be, to
me, "nicer". But, in reality (which stinks in some ways), I understand that IBM
won't create a new instruction "because John thinks it would be nice". [grin]

--
Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of
selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless. -- Sinclair Lewis

Maranatha! <><
John McKown