On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 8:43 AM Tom Marchant <
000000a69b48f3bb-dmarc-requ...@listserv.uga.edu> wrote:

> >I cannot fathom the reason to use _any_ base for the PSA other than GPR0.
> >It is simply wasteful of a scarce resource.
>
> It isn't "the" PSA. There is the PSA of the processor that you are running
> on.
> That PSA is always at location 0.

True. I left out the words "of the processor". I guess that I ASSuMEd that.

> Every processor in the LPAR has its own PSA, and when the processor is
> running,
> that PSA is at real (and virtual) location 0 for that processor. The PSA
> for any
> other processor can also be referenced using the real address that matches
> the
> value that is used for the prefix register for that processor. This is
> documented
> in the Principles of Operation under "Prefixing".

I know. But I have never wanted to look at the PSA of any CP other than the
one that I am running on. I'm not really sure why I would. Do you know of a
reason to do so? I am curious.

> You cannot use the value in the prefix register for your own processor to
> reference
> your PSA though. That would get you to absolute page 0, which, if I
> understand
> correctly, MVS never uses.

That's interesting. So z/OS and it's ancestors have never really used
absolute page 0. I guess it doesn't really matter since it is a small
amount of physical storage in today's world. Actually, I thought absolute 0
was used as the PSA for the IPL processor, but that, again, was an
assumption.

--
People in sleeping bags are the soft tacos of the bear world.
Maranatha! <><