1. Unless my recollection of AREAD is flawed, it will just give you the raw
source code. It's not much different from reading the source file. In order to
determine offsets and so forth you would have to write your own assembler: you
will have to "know" what FOO DS 3PL8 "means." You will have to bump your
internal location counter by 24 and read the next card image. You will have to
understand the location counter implication of DS 0F and ORG FOO-7.

2. With regard to processing the listing rather than the ADATA, I have to say
that "intellectually" I don't like it ("listings are for people; ADATA is for
this sort of task") but practically it sounds like a fine idea. All of the
offsets and symbol values are there and it is easy to figure out -- no trying
to interpret some structure of binary data.

(Is it clear whether a symbol is relocatable or not? Is the difference between
FOO EQU * versus FOO EQU 126 clear from the listing?)

3. You might consider Rexx for the processing language, especially if you are
going to process SYSPRINT.

4. Whichever route you go, I would divide the project up into two phases:

i. Parse the input (SYSPRINT or ADATA). Build a big table with everything you
think you might need to know about each symbol (name, offset, value, format,
length, comment). Dump that table out to make sure it is right and you
understand what you have done.

ii. Turn it into the Rexx statements that you need.

Charles