There is an OOP concept called an accessor or getter. I am not finding a
succinct definition on the Web but perhaps you can.

Anyway, as an alternative to generating the four fields you describe below, you
might consider generating accessor routines. (This is on the output side of
things and independent of AREAD, ADATA or SYSPRINT input.)

Assume the following is the record to be accessed from Rexx:

CLIENT   DSECT
LASTNAME DS    CL16
FRSTNAME DS    CL12
ZIPCODE  DS    F
BIRTHYR  DS    H

The program would return the following Rexx code (untested):

LASTNAME_Get: Return SubStr(Arg(1), 1, 16)
FRSTNAME_Get: Return SubStr(Arg(1), 17, 12)
ZIPCODE_Get: Return C2D(SubStr(Arg(1), 29, 4))
BIRTHYR_Get: Return C2D(SubStr(Arg(1), 33, 2))

Now your Rexx application programmer could code lines like the following
(assuming CLIENT_Rec contained a CLIENT record):

Say "Client" LASTNAME_Get(CLIENT_Rec) "was born in" BIRTHYR_Get(CLIENT_Rec)

Charles