Also the linkage stack is not supported by Language Environment, so you should
not be using it in any code that can be called in an LE run-unit.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf
Of Farley, Peter x23353
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2022 5:39 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Saving Caller's 64-bit Regsiters

Dave, if speed is an issue (i.e., your small routine is called many, many
times), BAKR is **SLOW** even on very recent hardware.  It is convenient, but
normal save/restore processes beat the pants off BAKR if execution time is
critical.

Considering also the traceability issue and the task cancel issue Tony
references, I don't think I would go that way.  I have only been in
MVS/OS390/zOS shops where it is better supported since the mid-1990's, and I
have yet to find any reasonable case for using BAKR/PR in any
*application-level* code.

HTH

Peter