From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf
of Dave Clark [dlcl...@winsupplyinc.com]
Sent: Friday, February 4, 2022 10:51 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Making Encoded Bits Human Readable

David L Clark/it/crp/WinWholesale wrote on 02/04/2022 10:05:30 AM:
>  OK, let's examine this.  I follow what lines 1 to 3 will do.  But
> it doesn't seem that line 4 will do what I need.  The reason I am
> confused is because the PoPs manual says that line 3, in this case,
> will not change the content of R0, thus bits 28-31 are the same as
> they were after line 2.  In that case, how does line 4 get R0 bits
> 28-29 into bit positions 30-31 where they need to be for line 5 to
> work correctly?
>
> 1.  LLGC  R0,BYTE                 GET ENCODED BYTE (NEED BITS 24-27)
> 2.  SRL   R0,4(0)                 SHIFT OUT RIGHTMOST 4 BITS
> 3.  SRLG  R1,R0,2(0)              SHIFT NEXT 2 BITS INTO R1 (R0
UNCHANGED)
> 4.  NILL  R0,B'11'                (CONFUSED, WHAT DOES THIS ACTUALLY
DO?)
> 5.  AHI   R0,C'1'                 ORIG. BITS 24-25 TO ZONED DECIMAL
> 6.  AHI   R1,C'1'                 ORIG. BITS 26-27 TO ZONED DECIMAL

        And, yes, sorry, I treated all registers as 32-bit registers.
Please adjust my comments accordingly.  Thanks.  Otherwise, I am currently
using the following.

LLC  R0,RECBUF+108            NEED ONLY x'....XX..' PART
SRDL R0,2+4                   SHIFT OUT 6 BITS INTO R1
AHI  R0,C'1'                  YIELD '1' TO '4' VALUE
STC  R0,CWORK                  FOR INTRASYSTEM SHROPT
XR   R0,R0                    CLEAR REG FOR NEXT 2 BITS
SLDL R0,2                     SHIFT IN 2 BITS FROM R1
AHI  R0,C'1'                  YIELD '1' TO '4' VALUE
STC  R0,CWORK+2                FOR INTERSYSTEM SHROPT

Sincerely,

Dave Clark
--
Winsupply Group Services
3110 Kettering Boulevard

This email message and any attachments is for use only by the named
addressee(s) and may contain confidential, privileged and/or proprietary
information. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and delete and destroy the message and all
copies. All unauthorized direct or indirect use or disclosure of this
message is strictly prohibited. No right to confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any error in transmission.