My thoughts.

Since I support software that is called by any number of users, I would like to validate that they provided valid parms. As a called subsystem, I can't be messing with the callers error handling routines that may already be handling SOC4s. I don't want to know if it's 'in storage', just that it is accessible even if a page-fault is needed.

I wish there was a simple:
TEST MEMORY AND BRANCH INVALID
operands R1 is a register pair with R1=address and R1+1=length to validate. (Like an MVCL.)

Instead of a SOC4, just branch to the address provided as the second operand where I have placed an error handler.

Tony Thigpen