Thank you Abe. I may give that a try...
.. not my original post but I will go ++1 for notepad++

> Why Notepad++?  I'd expect Kedit or The to be more familiar to the HLASM
> community?

Possibly but I could really never get used to THE on windows. I always
recommend it, and I sometimes use it for those who yearn for a Mainframe, but
its not my go-to editor for windows/linux files.
.. it lacks many features I feel are indispensable on Windows, so THE has no
tabbed windows, no support for different character sets or windows/linux line
endings,

> Better macro support?  In what language are macros coded?
> Portability?  Is Notepad++ available on desktop platforms other than one, or
> are
> the macros editor-agnostic?  Of course, there's WINE, VirtualBox, or VMWare.
> Which of those would require a license fee?

KEDIT needs a licence, is $39/machine. I have four machines. It also has only
"legacy" support.
Notepad++ comes with parsers for many of the languages I write in. For me it’s
a no-brainer. Its often updated for new formats. There is an active support
forum.
So if you wish to stick with THE/KEDIT thats fine but for those of us who have
changed, that should also be fine.

> --
> gil

Dave