>> Fritz... why don't you just "fork" the report generation ?

> Because we have already developed V2. It is NOT a simple task to
> "fork" in all platforms. Especially not in Windows. Therefore a lot of
> work went into the multithreading version.

Uh ?!?

#!/usr/bin/perl

my $pid = fork();
if (not defined $pid) {
  # uhm
  print "resources not available.\n";
} elsif ($pid == 0) {
  # this is the child code, here we'd call
  # the report generation function which
  # will run in a separate, child process
  print "ASSP (child): generating reports\n";
  sleep 5;
  print "ASSP (child): reports generated\n";
  exit(0);
} else {
  print "ASSP (main): Report generation running...\n";
  # wait not needed in ASSP, just for demo...
  # in assp we'll keep doing our job while
  # the forked child will process the emails
  # and generate the reports
  waitpid($pid,0);
}
print "All done\n";

the above works w/o problems in windows, and I suspect it should
work well on Linux, MacOSX and others, and well... implementing
such a simple "fork" shouldn't be so complex in 1.x; again I'm not
referring to multithreading, just to fork child processes if and when
needed (e.g. to handle report generation and similar "batch" tasks)