> Sad enough Fritz's simple solution about what to try, which
> MIGHT work, doesn't.  Of course it's not an assp issue.

Yes, I suspected so; sure, setting up the same LDAP server
as primary/alternate may help a little, but if the server doesn't
answer for some "long" interval that won't solve the issue, and..
yes, it definitely isn't an ASSP issue; something isn't working
as needed in your infrastucture :(

> I will do as you suggested and setup an additional openldap server.

That may allow to fix the ASSP issue, but the fact that the LDAP
server is unresponsive at times may indicate some ongoing issue
and I think you'd better investigate (and solve) before the cause
of the problem may cause further issues and "explode"; setup
your LDAP system to monitor performances and also increase
the various logging levels, that may help you finding out what's
going on and fixing the issue before it gets worse