I ask if it's normal because I don't (or didn't know).  It's illogical to
me that it does, so I find the question perfectly reasonable.

I assumed that we'd want ASSP to try one of the DNS servers at a time,
especially if we're using internal DNS servers.  If for some reason that
selected DNS server (round robin or randomly selected) times out, remove it
from the rotation for a while so it's not a source of constant delay, and
try the next dns server.  ASSP shouldn't be using internal dns servers that
aren't reliable.  I specify multiple just so that a single point of failure
doesn't bring down ASSP.

Querying one at a time would allow multiple DNS servers listed for backup
purposes only without increasing the DNS query load unnecessarily*   I
would think that would be a more standard implementation of DNS queries in
general.  Isn't that the way Windows and Linux workstations and servers
operate normally?  If you've got 3 dns servers in windows and do a dns
lookup, it asks one server (as far as I understand it).  If that times out,
it moves on to the next.  I can't say that I've ever seen (or noticed) a
server querying every DNS server it is assigned to use with the same query
every time.

    *I say "unecessarily" becuase >>I<< don't think it's necessary, but if
I'm off base on this concept I'd love to understand why.

Anyway, I'm glad that my incessant questions keep finding these minor yet
potentially impactful bugs that your continually able to diagnose and fix -
and quickly.  Thanks so much for that.

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Thomas Eckardt <thomas.ecka...@thockar.com