>that out of rotation, prodding every so often to see
>if it's back online

>I'm sure implementation might not be.

I'm sure it is implemented.
Read all changelogs for the last years!

To see how it works - switch on 'DNSResponseLog' and set 'MaintenanceLog'
to diagnostic..

>Why have 3x the DNS workload?
SPEED !?
I agree, 3 or more times the workload is too much - 2 time would be
enough.

I like the idea to limit the number of nameservers used, instead of using
all nameservers all times. This makes it possible to define for example 5
DNS-server or even more, but limit the usage to the still in time fastest
2 or 1 or any other number (hmmm... one is not nice).
Assume we limit to two DNS-server. As long as any of the both is answering
- fine - but the first worker, that detects a DNS problem, will force the
recheck and reordering of the all defined nameserver.
Per default, assp checks all defined nameservers once in a minute.

Thomas