On 14 Mar 2014, at 21:29, Jared Smith <jaredsm...@jaredsmith.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Olle E Johansson <reviewbo...@asterisk.org>
> wrote:
> For every poorly designed bad feature I can think of I can find a large
> number of Asterisk users that want it. It's simply not a good argument. We
> create this software and need some sort of architecture when we do.
> I think you're being a bit extreme here, Olle, and your email sounds (at
> least to my ears) as being quite demanding. You could use this same argument
> to shoot down *any* new feature or code.  I know you're still focusing on
> Asterisk 1.8 and taking care of your paying customers (at least the last time
> we talked), but from my vantage point the whole reason we're going to down
> the road of pjsip and a new SIP channel driver is to have a better
> architecture, and these DNS changes are one part of a whole series of changes
> specifically designed to improve the architecture.  What have the entire
> Asterisk 12 and 13 development cycles been about if not for improving our
> architecture?
I haven't in any way said that it was a bad to go down this route, Jared.
> The current DNSmanager is broken in so many ways I can't even begin to
> describe it and it is not asynch, asterisk still stops if we're not getting
> an answer.
> I agree one hundred percent.  That's why it surprises me that you're coming
> out so vehemently about an improvement -- any improvement -- to the way we
> handle DNS.  Now I agree that it's not ideal to have two different ways to
> resolve DNS in different parts of Asterisk -- but that being said, I think
> *any* improvement is a step in the right direction.  Adding this code to
> pjsip doesn't make chan_sip any worse.
I haven't been against ANY DNS improvements - that is something other people
have talked about, not me. I am primarily against including a way to configure
DNS servers in a module of a larger product, and secondarily against including
a DNS resolver in a module of the same product.  I have made those statements
very clear in many mails and reviewboard - you even quoted it below.

> Even if it can ba done easily, doesn't mean it's right. We do need to manage
> our product. Adding the ability to configure a different set of DNS servers
> for a module or even a full server application is a bad thing. That's the
> first part we should not do. After that, we need to fix our DNS architecture.
> OK, I can't speak about managing a "product", because this not a product to
> me.
I don't get that.

> It's a tool that I happen to use.  I leave it to others to productize it.  On
> this mailing list, however, I feel we should focus on development of Asterisk
> as a toolset, and leave product discussions for other venues.
>
> If you have suggestions on how to "fix our DNS architecture" as you say, in a
> way that is not only asynchronous, respects TTL (and refreshes results again
> once the TTLs have expired), handle SRV records correctly (including
> sorting), and solve the happy eyeballs/earballs problems, I'd love to see the
> code get incorporated into Asterisk.  In the meantime, the proposal in front
> of us seems to be a step closer than what we have today.  It may not be
> perfect, but I think there are more serious sins than allowing an end user to
> shoot themselves in the foot.  (We already give them plenty of firearms and
> ammunition with the wide range of configuration options and files and modules
> available today.)

You are writing the mail in a way that puts words in my mouth that hasn't been
there. I am not against Asterisk improvements, or the PJSIP channel driver, DNS
improvments or the way we manage our project. I am worried when developers add
stuff that will break our architecture just because it is possible to do with a
third party library and thus giving us a lot of future support. No one has
stepped forward with a good reason to add DNS servers to the pjsip config file,
a real problem it solves.

/O