On Thu Oct 1, 2020 at 10:34 AM EDT, Joshua C. Colp wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 11:32 AM Seán C McCord <ule...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I, too, am in favour of this formalization.  My only comment is that it
> > seems to me that default-enabled being turned off would seem to come before
> > deprecation.  I can see the other side, though.
> >

> I pondered that once, but I think to the user base it would be too much
> of a drastic change. I think of it as a gradual nudging essentially.
> Changing to deprecated and notes being informational for planning, default
> enabled being an interrupt to actually do something. Of course there will
> still
> be individuals who don't see this stuff - but one can only do so much.

I can understand that, but I also look at it from the packager's perspective:
for the most generic appeal, I would generally want to enable everything which
wasn't either experimental or deprecated.  The default-enabled status would not
be of interest.  If packagers followed that way of thinking, you would, in
fact, be _causing_ a more abrupt change.  By switching this around, you would
not impact lazy users who do not compile their own Asterisk at first, but would
gain the attention (one hopes) of those who are ever so slightly more advanced.
 This bifurcates the impact to affect the more advanced users first, rather
than the other way around.

Seán C McCord
ule...@gmail.com
PGP/GPG: https://cycoresys.com/scm.asc