I am trying to optimize echo cancellation. Originally (with only one phone attached), echo cancellation worked well. Echo was only obvious in the first second or so of a call. Now, with multiple phones on the system, the echo does not go away. It is quiet, but audible and somewhat annoying. I have the following configuration:

PSTN (4 lines) <-> ADTRAN TSU600 <-> T1 <-> T100P <-> asterisk <-> Budgetone 100 (20 phones)

The budgetone phones and the * server are all on the same local branch of a full duplex switched LAN (100BaseT/10BaseT, Baystack 450 switches). Typical delay times (from SIP SHOW PEERS) are 3-8 msec. Am I better off to just set echocancel=yes, or should I experiment with setting the number of taps? Does echo cancel=yes mean "hunt" for the optimal number of taps, based on transmission delay?

Also, can I help matters with the type of service setting (tos) in sip.conf? What exactly is "tos"?

Stephen R. Besch