hi,

Hi there,

I stumbled on this list mostly by accident.  I came across Asterisk * as a
means to help me get a better handle on my soaring telephone costs.  Each
month I look at my phone bills and my stomach just turns because I can not
find any competition to Verizon which is the local anointed phone company
around here.

Since I am a neophyte at all this I was wondering if some kind soul would
confirm/disconfirm my assumptions about this software called Asterisk *.

1) Am I correct to assume that there is a way to dump Verizon and strictly
go VOIP in a SOHO situation?

Yes

2) Can 1-800 numbers terminate to a VOIP assigned number?

yes, nufone has tollfree numbers (including 1800 numbers I beleive) for 2.9 cents incoming, and 2.9 cents outgoing nationwide.

3) With VOIP am I under the assumption that one must also purchase licenses
for such service to work.

I am not sure, if your a bueisness SELLING voip server, you may need it, but if your just the "end user" then I am pretty sure you dont need a licence

4) Who are the companies I can purchase VOIP service from? I need numbers
in my local area code, plus I need some kind of unlimited VOIP service Asia
- mainly to Taiwan.

Nufone.net -have to call them up/talk to JerJer in irc [irc.freenode.net #asterisk]
connect.voicepulse.com
I think there is a few other ones as well.
Now for Asia, thats another thing, I dont know of any other voip providers with unlimited asia service..

5) Am I being unrealistic in my savings by implementing an Asterisk * PBX in
our SOHO situation.

Alot cheaper than buying a commercial system...
Join the IRC, there are (hopefully) alot of people around that can help you with some of the info you need!

Thanks for helping this person out.

Regards,

Charles Alvis

---