I would like you to name one PBX that does not support this behavior? Every system from Avaya including their Definity, Merlin Legend, Merlin Magix, Partner, and their new IP based PBXes support it, as do those from Mitel, Nortel, InteCom and every other system that I have ever used. A typical example is a manager/admin setup that works as follows:

Partner is not a PBX, it is a key system.

The Definity PBX does not directly provide key functionality.

I can't speak to Merlin, not having used it myself.

That said, Asterisk is a PBX like Definity, and should not support this. A FEP for Asterisk, that duplicates the functionality of a key system, should be developed, if it's in high enough demand. Like I said before, I am happy to spearhead the project development if anyone is interested.

Greg