Peter Svensson wrote:

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

There can be only one clock and you must engineer your system such that everything is synchronized properly. For simple systems like what we are describing it's not difficult but when you have multiple spans coming from multiple providers it can get hairy.

Most providers should be synchronized to a traceable time source derived
from UTC. I.e. they should all tick exactly the same even if they are not directly interconnected.

Uh? UTC? I think you mean derived from a rhubidium clock, synced to the rest of the world's rhubidium clocks. :-\

I think it would be nice if the zaptel card could be used as a high precision frequency source for ntpd. It is probably no that hard even.

The zaptel clock is atomic accurate when it is locked to a PSTN E1 or T1. However, it has no special accuracy under other circumstances - channel bank usage, free standing PBXs, analogue line cards, etc.

Regards,
Steve