How about this...

Replace the old text in /usr/src/zaptel/zaptel.conf.sample:
# # The timing parameter determines the selection of primary, secondary, and
# so on sync sources. If this span should be considered a primary sync
# source, then give it a value of "1". For a secondary, use "2", and so on. # To not use this as a sync source, just use "0"

with this text:
# # All T1/E1 spans generate a clocking signal on the transmit side. The # timing parameter determines whether the clocking signal from the opposite
# end of the T1/E1 is used to sync our clock. For T1/E1's connected to a
# pstn provider (telco), chose 1 for using this T1 as the primary clock,
# 2 for a secondary (if multiple T1/E1's are in use and the second T1 is
# to be used for clock sync should the primary fail), or 3 for the next
# T1, etc. If the T1/E1 is connected to a channel bank or if the T1/E1
# is not to be used for clock sync, then specify the timing as 0. (A quad
# T1/E1 card should only have a single T1/E1 specified as timing = 1, or
# primary clock sync. Incorrect timing sync may cause clicks/noise in
# the audio, poor quality faxes, or fax failures, etc.)

If this is helpful, I'll submit a bug for the text. Thoughts anyone?

Very good. Now I'll try to muddy the waters with my own ignorance on this subject.

Where is the clock source that the T1/E1 board, with "0" for timing, uses to generate the tx data stream? Is there a PLL on each board? Or is some central source used?

For example, I have one system with two separate T100P cards--one for a telco T-1 (#1) and the other for a channel bank (#2). For timing, #1 (telco) is set to "1" and #2 (channel bank) is set to "0". How does card #2 get its timing to generate its tx stream? Does card #1 interrupt the CPU based on the retrieved clock stream, and the CPU drive the other boards based on #1's interrupts?