Darrick Hartman (lists) wrote:
> Philip Prindeville wrote:
>
>> Fred wrote:
>>
>>> Lonnie

>>> OK. So am I right in thinking that for development, I save files to /tmp
>>> like there's no tomorrow since those write's are actually made in RAM, and
>>> only save the program to eg. /usr/local/bin once it's debugged?
>>>
>>> In other words, if I want stuff written to /var to survive a reboot, I must
>>> edit /etc/fstab to remove the line for /var, copy files from /var to
>>> /dev/hda2 somehow, reboot, and from then on, AstLinux will use hda2 to hold
>>> /var?
>>>
>>> Here's what I have after adding /dev/hda2 as UnionFS:
>>>
>>> ======
>>> pbx ~ # mount
>>> rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
>>> /dev/root on /oldroot type ext2 (rw)
>>> /dev/hda1 on /oldroot/cdrom type vfat
>>> (ro,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1)
>>>

>> ^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm getting this too, and it's really annoying.
>>
>> I have to modify my script that pushes a new release of the OS to first
>> unmount this, otherwise when I go to remount /dev/hda1 it tells me that
>> it's busy.
>>
>> Is there a simple fix for this?
>>

> Philip,
>
> This is not related to what Fred is asking.  Fred wasn't talking about
> /oldroot/cdrom remaining mounted.  He was talking about var (which does
> not reside on unionfs).

I know he wasn't...  but since it came up in the example, I thought I
would ask about it.

Wasn't sure if it was deliberate or if it was a hald/udev oddity...

Modified the installer-script.  I'll post it if anyone is interested
once I get the bugs out.

BTW:  What's necessary to install onto this filesystem multiple
instances of the OS so you can have a fallback version of the OS?

Every time I install, I first zap the old version of os/ ... since
there's room for two or more images on a 128MB partition, we might as
well keep a fallback version.

> If you don't have enough system memory, you must leave /oldroot/cdrom
> mounted.  That's because the image file is still mounted loop back.  If
> you have enough system ram that the image file is copied to a ramdisk,
> it should be possible to unmount /oldroot/cdrom.  I say should because
> whenever I've tried, the system says there's a file in use and it can't
> be unmounted.

How do you know if you've had enough memory or not?  What are the
external signs?  I don't have a serial console connected all the time,
so I lose whatever boot-time messages their might have been.

If it does make a ramdisk copy, can it deliberately unmount the
partition so we know it doesn't need it any more?

-Philip