David Kerr wrote:
> Can someone explain unionfs to me.  I understand that it enables you to
> write to the astlinux system disk, I'm guessing by saving the changes
> onto the hda designated for use by unionfs.  But my question is more
> specific to astlinux... is using unionfs an alternative to using a
> keydisk, or do you need both?

Yes.  You can use unionfs (via asturw) on Astlinux and not need a key
disk.  In fact, if you use the genunion script to setup your unionfs
partition, it will create a /mnt/kd directory on your unionfs partition
and copy the contents that would have gone onto the key disk partition
in the past.  I use this approach for all of my new installations.  I
had started work on a "movekd" script which would move the contents of
an old key disk onto a unionfs partition, but this would be fairly easy
to do.  Controlling what is used (unionfs, key disk or both) is handled
by changing the KCMD line in your astlinux-xx.run.conf file.  asturw
must be set for unionfs to be active.  astkd for key disk.

Darrick
--
Darrick Hartman
DJH Solutions, LLC