On Dec 19, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

Tod Fitch wrote:

I am interested in figuring out a very similar configuration:

net5501
eth0 - PPPoE to ISP1 (results in fixed public IP)
eth1 - Fixed public IP for ISP2
eth2 - Internal NATed network with mail and web servers port forwarded
eth3 - (Future DMZ to move the mail and web servers into)

My feeble attempts to do this resulted in totally messing up network
connectivity...

Thanks!
Tod

I'd love to help, but you'll have to be more specific.

For both interfaces (eth0 and eth1), can you directly ping your next- hop
(peer) gateway?

You might have to force the source interface in each case via "ping -I
eth0 ..." and "ping -I eth1 ..." when testing.

Also, what does your routing table look like?

route
ip -d neigh

Philip,

Thank you for your offer of assistance. And my apologies to Ron for the thread hijack.

At present my net5501 AstLinux box is simply an appliance on my LAN, so showing the current routing table on it will not be of much use.

Pinging through my current Xincom dual wan firewall, I get responses from both "next hop" addresses. The one on the PPPoE link average 12.6ms while the one on the static IP average 1.4ms. So I think the PPPoE link is actually over the DSL line whilst the static IP next hop is probably in the cable modem.

If we take this off list, I can forward you more than you probably want to know about my network topology.

Again, than you for your offer of assistance.
Tod