Do you build your own Astlinux from source, or take one of the prebuild
images?  If you build your own I can give you a patch that will work around
the problem. Maybe not a long term solution, but it will at least confirm
the diagnosis. The problem is associated with calling the System() command
from within dialplan. It just happens that asterisk-gui makes extensive use
of this, hence why you run into the problem so quickly when you bring up the
asterisk-gui. My work around is to enable an alternative way of kicking off
a system command and having the asterisk-gui use that.
David