Lonnie Abelbeck wrote:

> I tested this, and it works for me.  Remember that 'Log Local Out' only
> applies to packets outbound directly from the local AstLinux box (OUTPUT
> Chain), *not* forwarded packets, (FORWARD Chain).  For example packets
> from a web browser on a LAN NAT'ed subnet will not show with "Log Local
> Out".  On the other hand, if you ssh into the AstLinux box (or use serial
> console) and enter...

That explains it. Thanks a lot. Of course, I thought I would log ALL
outgoing traffic and I thus used a local browser on the LAN to generate
traffic.

So, how would I go and monitor the FORWARD chain? Because, if the astlinux
box is used as a router, then this is the interesting information.

Also, I guess the same applies (somehow) to incoming FORWARDED traffic,
right?

> $ curl http://www.astlinux.org >/dev/null
>
> The log will show with the above rule.

Yes, this now works.

>> It might seem naive, but if I simple disable the firewall, I can no
>> longer access my external IF from any LAN computers. When the firewall is
>> active, traffic is NATed to the outside and the firewall rules are
>> applied.
>>
>> Would disabling the firewall also disable the masquerading (NAT) via the
>> external interface?
>
> Yes.  That explains your results.

O.K. Now I understand it. However, it is not very easily understood by a
novice user that disabling a firewall somehow results in no more traffic
possible. I would have expected that "disabling" would allow all traffic
(whatever this means to internal processes like iptables, dnsmasq, etc.).

Thanks a lot for the explaination.

Michael

P.S.: by the way, what would be the best way to reduce logging info from
hostap and from dnsmasq. I get lot's of info in the log when IP addresses
are renewed from dnsmasq and "group key handshakes completed" from hostapd.

I would prefer only to see errors in the log.