Michael, Lonnie:

I tried both your suggestions and neither worked... I'm beginning to suspect
there might be a problem with the CF card. It's a SanDisk Ultra, whereas my
existing, functional, card is a Lexmark. I'll try to get another one today and
try again.

The console provided the following message: "SYSLINUX 3.86 0x4da50dc8 EBIOS"
... does this mean anything? It isn't part of my regular BIOS diagnostics.

cheers,
   Shamus