Tom,

> In general, is there any reason for us to edit anything in rc.conf?
> (/mnt/kd/rc.conf)

Never, if you are using the web interface.

If the directory /mnt/kd/rc.conf.d/ exists, the file /mnt/kd/rc.conf is
ignored.  Save Settings in the web interface (ex. Network tab) creates the
directory /mnt/kd/rc.conf.d/ .

If the directory /mnt/kd/rc.conf.d/ does not exist, the file /mnt/kd/rc.conf is
used.

Lonnie