On Apr 29, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Lonnie Abelbeck <li...@lonnie.abelbeck.com> wrote:

> Testing Update,
--- snip ---
> There is a lot to like with this box, excellent value, excellent performer,
> though in my testing I found an obscure issue related to network traffic and
> libpcap related NetStat (darkstat) monitoring where my box can be made to
> lock-up tight with a specific iperf network test while darkstat is running.
> I shared my "trigger" test with Michael Keuter and his box is fine, so it may
> be a unique one-off related to my board.  I expect to get a response from
> Qotom this coming week.
>
> The issue I see is very deterministic and repeatable, and related to commands
> that use libpcap, though "iftop" and "tcpdump" do not trigger the issue, but
> "darkstat", "sngrep" and "ngrep" together with extreme iperf data demonstrate
> the issue on my Qotom.  I was hoping keeping the i211 NIC's at full power as
> intended was the problem, that made no difference.

I found a fix !

If I disable "gro" (generic-receive-offload) on any interface that libpcap
could listen on (ie. all interfaces)
--
ethtool -K eth0 gro off
ethtool -K eth1 gro off

The Qotom can still route at Gb speeds, but instead of only taking 40% of one
core to do so, it now takes 75% of one core.  The Qotom still out-performs the
Jetway NF9HG-2930 for network routing.

I'll see what Qotom has to say about it.