Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Bob Copeland wrote:
>
>>> modprobe ath5k with nohwaccel=1  (I think that's the name...test
>>> system is
>>
>> nohwcrypt=1... but it would be nice if we swapped in/out keys into the
>> hw crypto key cache based on vif.
>
> That would be ideal for us. I'm interested to know how information about
> the hw crypto key cache has been obtained - is it purely from reverse
> engineering the old Atheros HAL and the ath9k driver?
>
>>> I would welcome inclusion of any/all of this code and/or help
>>> with debugging if anyone wants to give it a try.
>>
>> Ok, well this change touches a lot of different things (mac80211 and
>> nl80211
>> changes e.g. should at least be reviewed by the relevant maintainers).
>> So when you think it's ready, a good plan of attack is to split it up
>> into smaller patches that only do one logical change -- that will make
>> it easier to review.
>>
>> Also note that the ath5k/9k merge hit wireless-testing yesterday evening
>> so the patch needs rebasing to apply on top of the current tree.  It'd
>> be nice if 9k and 5k did this stuff the same way; I think Jouni Malinen
>> posted VAP patches around 3/30 to linux-wireless for ath9k.
>
> This is interesting. The part I don't understand is that browsing the
> wireless-testing git tree, I can see that ath9k claims to have VAP
> support. So I guess this means either the ath5k VAP support is incorrect
> (since it requires modifications to mac80211 which aren't required by
> ath9k) or similar patches for mac80211 have already been applied to
> enable this functionality.

Some of the changes are to make the system more manageable, ie by giving
us the ability to associate vifs with master devices in sysfs etc.  Some
changes allow sw-crypt to work properly with multiple VIFs on the same
AP.

I'm not sure how much testing the ath9k stuff has, and since they
can virtualize radios as well, maybe they have an easier time of
virtualizing APs, or maybe it needs similar changes to the mac80211
stacks too.

Thanks,
Ben

--