2009/9/15 Tomas Dulik <du...@fai.utb.cz>:
> Dear All,
>
> I address you - the developers of the ath5k driver - on behalf of all the
> members of the Research & Development workgroup found by NFX (Neutral czFree
> eXchange, the association of Czech non-commercial non-government free
> networks).  The purpose of this long announcement is to explain our
> motivation for starting a long term contribution to the ath5k development
> and to declare our areas of interests, so you can react somehow before we
> start the development (possibly duplicating somebody else's work or doing
> something which would never make it into the Linux kernel).
>
> After the ath5k project presentation made by Jiri Slaby at our
> seminar/workshop in June, we finaly decided to support the ath5k development
> by providing one full-time developer dedicated solely to the ath5k
> development.

Wow great news!

> Our primary motivation for this commitment are the external wireless
> networks that the NFX member organizations operate - currently, they have
> about 30 000 users and we guess that at least 50% of them are connected to
> their networks by an Atheros-based HW.
>
> Therefore, we need the Atheros drivers to be as stable and as functional as
> possible. But this year, we have got the impression that we have been
> waiting too long too passively and that we should start doing something more
> active to achieve our goals.
>
> So what are our goals, or better said: where we want to contribute?
>
> In short term (e.g., until Christmas):
>
> Most of all, we need the AP (master) mode to be absolutely stable. APs
> operated by NFX members are running 24/7/365 in very difficult environment
> (noise, high traffic, incorrect implementations of the connected stations..)
> and therefore, their stability is crucial.

AP stability work is greatly appreciated.

> We need to get the TX power logic working. We have done some measurements of
> ath5k & Madwifi on various miniPCI cards using a borrowed R&S spectral
> analyzer with the K91 WLAN plugin and we found that both ath5k and Madwifi
> does not behave correctly here (Jiri Slaby can confirm because he was
> present when we were demonstrating these measurements on a workshop last
> week). The improper TX power settings for given bitrate/modulation increases
> the EVM (error vector magnitude) right at the transmitter output which
> results in packet errors and consequent fallbacks to lower bitrates.

Thanks for reviewing this. I am curious, is there any driver you did
use that *did* give you proper results?

> We need to support and very thoroughly validate the behaviour of the Atheros
> ANI feature. We suspect that the improper driver control of this feature is
> probably causing complete transmission failures of some Atheros cards e.g.
> under commercial Mikrotik drivers when there are high noise levels present
> (caused by high traffic in adjacent channels). In the latest versions of
> Madwifi, there was a patch for this, but with this patch, we started to see
> the "Stucked beacon" errors causing disconnects of the connected stations,
> which is not acceptable behaviour

ANI is completely lacking on ath5k.

> In long term:
>
> We need to implement the Automation of testing project. But the Orbit
> testbed mentioned in this project specification is not sufficient for us,
> because we need to have a testbed aimed at external wifi networks.

Just FYI, Orbit actually as set of external nodes as well.

> So
> instead of using anntenas, we are connecting our test nodes by coax cables,
> fixed & programmable attenuators, couplers and RF switches.

Orbit has this arrangement but for sandboxes, which is what you
typically would use prior to a large experiment on the large grid.

> For our testbed,
> we also need to implement cheaper signal generators and analyzers (e.g.,
> using the USRP2) which would allow simulating all the various effects
> present in external wifi networks - e.g., local noise, multipath
> propagation, long distance links etc.

Neat :)

> We have a lot of ideas for improving the behaviour of WiFi in Linux. Some of
> these ideas were already implemented as prototypes - e. g. the flow
> controller which is scheduling the WiFi packets according to their
> transmition time.

Is there a link to this you can provide? You may want to submit it for
review to linux-wireless.

> This scheduler greatly improves the performace of the WiFi
> APs in cases when there are stations with bad signal and low bit rates. But
> we would like to see these improvements as stable part of Linux kernel...
>
> Finally, here is a management summary of what we offer:
>
> long term, highly motivated contribution
> one full time programmer - Lukas Turek, who already hacked the Madwifi to
> implement the TX-time-based flow controller as his MSc. thesis.
> access to nicely equiped university labs. Me and Lukas are working on our
> PhDs at TBU university in Zlin and have access to nice toys like R&S
> spectral analyzers up to 40GHz. Currently we are searching the possibilities
> for buying a WiFi generator (e.g., R&S SMBV100A) which would allow us to
> test also the RX parts of various WiFi cards/devices in very consistent and
> deterministic conditions.
>
> I am looking forward your feedback and also for us becoming a part of the
> Linux Wireless developers community!

This is great news! Hope to see some patches soon!

  Luis