On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Robert Brown <robert.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do think it's worthwhile to think about how a repeated block of data could
> get into the destination file, assuming something in the networking code is
> buggy.  TCP/IP should be verifying packet checksums, so isn't it likely
> (necessary?) that the repeated data is a complete TCP/IP packet?

Yes, there shouldn't be a way to get corrupt data from the
TCP stack generally.  But we already know that ath5k corrupts
memory in some corner cases due to a use-after-free which
we're still trying to pin down.  Sl*b debug/kmemcheck should
indicate if this is your problem.

I don't understand your point about repeated data: are the
two files the same except one has a repeated block of data
in it (and is therefore larger than file2?)  If so I'd expect
a much bigger set of changes from cmp.

I would suggest transferring a large file with a recognizable
bit pattern (like all 'A's) to make it easier to see the
corruption.  I looked at the data from cmp; it doesn't look like
the sort of thing that ath5k would scribble in memory -- no
discernable 802.11 frames etc.

You may also try using fsx-linux or try a wired network to
ensure the problem doesn't lie in fs/hardware.

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com