Your description of the symptom is exactly correct.  With one corruption
the bad data was 1368 bytes long, with another 1448 bytes.

The sender is an access point.  I've noticed the problem with three different
access points.  The receiver is an Acer with ath5k driver.

My home access point is configured with RTS threshold 2346, fragmentation
2346, beacon interval 100ms, DTIM interval 1, short preamble, CTS mode auto,
WEP encryption.

I should be able to collect packet traces with wireshark.  Can you recommend
wireshark configuration options that are maximally helpful?  I can transfer
small files containing ASCII data until I see a mismatch.

bob