Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the reply.

I am realize there might be hardware constraint for me to use sectorised
antenna. I currently have a NIC with only one antenna exposed .

I have reconsidered my scenario and now I am planning to use switched beam
antennas (specifically ESPAR antenna). This antenna technology has only one
feed line similar to the omnidirectional antenna. In this case, I don't
have to worry about modifying HAL code.

 ESPAR antenna can be configured as  either omnidirectional or directional.
Directional beams can be achieved by electronically controlling the
parasitic elements, for instance by sending a byte value via a serial port
 on a per packet basis.

If I can rephrase the idea, this is what I would like to explore.

I want to create a scenario where upon start up, each node uses
omnidirectional antenna. Then, once a neigboring node requests association,
i want to perform a scan using each of the 4 antenna beams and based on the
beam which gives me max RSSI, I assume it is the best sector/beam to be
used to communicate with that neighbor. So an extra parameter can be
introduced in the neighbor's table to flag the antenna sector/sector which
has to be used whenever a node communicates with that specific neighbor. I
am assuming the all nodes receive using omnidirectional antenna
configuration but transmit (per packet level) using directional beam
configuration. It would be more interesting if such a routine is
automatically performed within the driver for every station that is added
into the neighbor's table. For simplicity I am assuming  static network
topology.

The directional beam configuration is achieved by sending appropriate byte
value via serial port (RS232) to control and direct the antenna radiation
pattern towards desired direction. I have already achieved this by
modifying MADAWIFI. I have to try it using mac80211 and ath5k driver. The
only challenge is achieving neighbor discovery especially in ad-hoc mode.

With thanks,
Mofolo