.. in fact, what I'd really _really_ like is if someone would build an
open source phased antenna array that's intended to be used by
three-stream (ie, three transmit/receive chain) antenna devices.

That way we could do both phased array station operation (when it
directs its transmit power _to_ a specific location _AND_ leave the
default receive antenna configured to the best receive antenna
configuration) and phased array AP operation (when it directs its
transmit power to specific antenna configurations, one per associated
station; with a default "omni" receive configuration.)

If someone's happy to design, implement and open source that, I could
have my arm twisted to hack on the basic rate control and driver code
to make that stuff work.

For ath5k NICs you only have 4 bits of antenna control.

For ath9k NICs you have 24 bits of antenna control shifted out two GPIO pins.

Adrian