Hello

I'm trying to use again mac driver (ath5k) instead of old madwifi driver for
atheros cards.
I have following problem.
On Clients using mac80211 (wpa_supplicant) it's just fine but if you use
it with hostapd you have about 1/2 speed as with madwifi.
Problem could be also kernel<->wireless driver issue.
With madwifi I'm using an old kernel 2.6.23 (voyage-0.5 distribution)
and with mac80211 a new kernel 3.8.13 (voyage-0.9.1)
I have read about throughput problems in 2009 nothing since this

Example:
5.5km 5.8GHz link 2xAlix board, 2xWLM54AGP23 card, 2x Hyperlink 27dbi
grids, wireless card speed set to 24M to get max. signal on this cards,
using WPA2-PSK mode. Signal on both sites is -60

With madwifi driver on both site you get 12.8Mbps/14.5Mbps download/upload
madwifi driver on server, mac80211 on client you still get 13.4/13.8Mbps
BUT if you use mac80211 on ap master mode with hostap you get only
7Mbps/5.5Mbps.
Tried all 4 constellation (old/new, new/old, new/new and old/old) and
the issue is only
if the hostapt is running with new kernel/mac80211

Same stuff on other links with other cards like CM9.

What I have seen is that with madwifi driver the cpu is 90-100% cpu
usage with ksoftirqd with mac80211 about 2% ...
Could this be a kernel interrupt issue? Are there several policies which
changed with kernel?

And just one other bad issue. If the wireless traffic reaches about 2Mbps
the ping latency is horrible high on the wireless interface.
I have with madwifi 0.5 ms and with a throughput of 5mbps with mac80211
I have 20-50ms!!

Anyone having same issue? I realy have to switch to this driver because
madwifi not anymore supported and I have serveral bad issues but with
this throughput impossible to use for me
How can I help to debug the problem?

Greetings