[snip all the things]

Ok, so ath5k is doing better with regards to interrupt handling and
processing it seems. So next I would look at the TX and RX descriptor
contents and timing. I think you'll need to add tracing to ath5k.

I'd trace:

* interrupts coming in
* the timestamp of each RX'ed frame
* the timestamp of each TX queued frame
* the timestamp of each TX completed frame

There are a few things that may be different in your setup that are worth
investigating:

* ath5k may not be queuing as many frames to the hardware at once. Madwifi
would just keep the transmit hardware queue totally full of tx buffers,
rather than only putting a small handful of frames to the hardware and
leaving the rest queued in software. Any extra processing latency will thus
kill you.
* You should see if the WME parameters are setup. madwifi was doing 802.11e
bursting - once you won TxOP, the TXQ was configured to let you burst
frames with minimal (or no) cwin checking;
* .. and the WME parameters for actual queue WME parameters may not be
setup, so the default Cwmin/Cwmax parameters and no burst window may be
configured, leading to poor performance;
* Maybe it could also be related to not supporting fast-frames? Check to
see if madwifi and your peer device are doing ff for some reason.

There's lots of things to debug at the MAC layer before worrying about
things at the PHY/radio layer.

Good luck!

-adrian