On Feb 22, 2010, at 1:09 PM, Felix Fietkau wrote:

> On 2010-02-22 8:43 PM, Galen wrote:
>> On Feb 22, 2010, at 6:29 AM, Felix Fietkau wrote:
>>> Except for STBC, ath9k seems to have pretty much the same hardware
>>> features as Atheros' other drivers. There may be some workarounds for
>>> various hw issues missing, I have not extensively reviewed that yet.
>> I would be interested in knowing more about these. LDPC? Others?
>> There appear good software implementations of LDPC out there:
>> http://planete-bcast.inrialpes.fr/article.php3?id_article=7
> I'm pretty sure the current hardware also doesn't do LDPC yet.

Ah - I misunderstood. I thought you were thinking of implementing previously
unavailable features in software. I wasn't sure how far the "soft MAC" idea
went :)

That said, I've reviewed what the chipsets currently available claim to support.

What is the status of 802.11h in AP mode? The ath9k page at linuxwireless.org
says it's supported, but I think that is only for clients, not APs. (Clients
simply offload radar detection to the AP, and follow the AP's directions if
radar is detected.)

Similar question about 802.11d - listed as supported, but is this only client
mode?

What about 802.11e? Client mode? AP mode?

And while of least importance to most people, 802.11j?

>>> While I haven't done any tests with it yet, I believe STBC could
>>> potentially make a difference in strong multipath environments,
>>> especially when dealing with lower signal strength.
>>
>> Yes, I would tend to agree this could help significantly.
>>
>> Are there details about what you are implementing? Are you
>> implementing encoding or decoding or both? Are you using an orthogonal
>> or quasi-orthagonal code? Have you considered a hybrid system using a
>> quasi-orthagonal code at low SNR and orthogonal at higher SNR?
> I think the hardware can only do 2:1 STBC

Ah - once again, you're enabling the hardware function, not implementing it in
software.

>> If I am not mistaken, ANI seems unlikely to have a negative impact
>> on performance. Do you believe it could be aversely affecting performance,
>> or do you believe that it is simply causing the signal numbers to be
>> mis-reported?
> ANI messes with the AGC parameters, OFDM or CCK self-correlation during
> reception, spur mitigation, and a few other things. Atheros has
> published a patent on this a while back. Look it up and read it if
> you're curious about the details.
> Short answer: I've seen it mess with the reported signal strength in
> their legacy chips, and I believe there's a good chance it still holds
> true for the 11n variants.

I will do some tests soon here. However, if you have STBC code coming soon, I'd
love to give that a try too and really be able to comprehensively evaluate
things.

>> I have a good testing environment and strong interests in seeing
>> better performance, so let me know if there is anything I can test for
>> you. I have AR5008, AR9280, AR9281 all on-hand, including radio modules
>> from multiple vendors for each of these chips. I will probably be
>> equipped to test AR9220 and AR9160 soon. I have a wide variety antennas
>> from essentially zero gain to 30 dB and a mix of indoor and outdoor line
>> of sight testing possible. All testing machines are setup with the
>> latest Debian testing, so they always have the latest kernel, etc.
> You should use compat-wireless based on the wireless-testing sources, it
> contains a lot of stuff that hasn't made it into stable kernels yet.
> This is also what I use for the mac80211+drivers packages in OpenWrt.

I am sorry, I was not clear. I always build a fresh compat-wireless.

>> That said, I am curious, what changes to the rate control are you planning /
>> working on?
> I started adapting the minstrel algorithm for 11n (it's a rewrite,
> actually), but found out by testing that without modifications the
> general approach isn't really suitable for 11n yet.
>
> So I'm playing with a couple of ideas for a new approach, which I can
> easily fit into the code that I have already written. I don't really
> have a name for that stuff yet (it deviates quite a bit from the
> minstrel approach), but it will be posted as an RFC patch to the
> linux-wireless list as soon as it's somewhat usable.

I'll be interested to see what you are working on here.