On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Galen <gal...@zinkconsulting.com> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2010, at 11:33 AM, Felix Fietkau wrote:
>
>> On 2010-02-24 8:22 PM, Galen wrote:
>>> This is an addendum to my earlier reply.

>>> I have looked over data presented on the Atheros website and as best as I
>>> can tell, the AR5008 (and other newer chipsets, I assume) support:
>>>
>>> - STBC (space-time block coding) for TX and RX
>>> - MRC (maximal ratio combining) via zero forcing algorithm
>>> - TxBF (transmit beam forming)
>>>
>>> From what you're saying, my understanding is that MRC and and TxBF
>>> are both functioning with ath9k, with STBC being the primary
>>> remaining feature. Is this correct?
>> TxBF isn't supported by the currently available hardware, so ath9k
>> doesn't make use of it either. I don't know about MRC, but I don't see a
>> difference between ath9k and other Atheros drivers in that area.
>> So yes, of those options, only STBC is missing.
>
> Atheros' data is not very clear in all cases. However, their statements lead
> one to believe that transmit beamforming is supported, as is MRC.
>
> It is possible that MRC is 100% hardware based (DSP-level) and "invisible" to
> the hardware. Is that what you mean when you say, "I don't know about MRC" ?
>
> As for transmit beamforming, here's a great example of their clear-as-mud
> information:
> http://www.atheros.com/news/xspan.html
>
> Note how they say "The new 802.11n draft specification defines an array of
> technical elements that Atheros is uniquely qualified to deliver" and list
> many features which I know the hardware supports - then list two I'm not sure
> about, MRC and TxBF.
>
> They clearly state that MRC and TxBF were implemented in chipsets dating back
> to 2004. However, are they in their shipping 802.11n chipsets? It's not
> clear. But why would they drop important features like that from a
> next-generation chipset? They also have this new brand for their MIMO
> technology - "Signal Sustain" technology - which nicely obfuscates what's
> actually happening.
>
> -Galen

Now they also have SST3: http://www.atheros.com/news/AR9300.html

"Leveraging the Rich Array of 11n Features to Enhance Rate-over-Range
Atheros’ new implementation of 11n leverages a variety of range
enhancement options to ensure that the high throughput levels achieved
with the 3x3 MIMO configuration are maintained across the entire WLAN
link.

Low Density Parity Check (LDPC) guards against packet loss at every
point on the link.
Maximum Likelihood Demodulation (MLD) optimizes MIMO demodulation to
boost signal strength at close range.
Transmit Beamforming (TxBF) focuses transmit signals to the receiver
to enhance the link rate at mid-range on the link continuum.
Maximal Ratio Combining (MRC) enables the receiver to optimally
combine the MIMO signal paths, aligning time and phase of the signal
receive to extend link reliability at longer range."

It seems they don't claim such feature set in AR9200:

http://www.atheros.com/news/AR9280_AR9281.html
http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR9285.htm
http://www.atheros.com/news/AR9220_AR9223.html

so I'm a bit confused about this