* On 31.07.2011 01:41 AM, Grant wrote:
> It's fixed!  The problem was actually interference from an ath5k
> 802.11g card I had in the same system.  I've noticed that any wireless
> card installed in the system will pump out enough RF to interfere with
> any other card in the system even if the interfering card's drivers
> are compiled out of the kernel.

I've had similar problems before, sorry. More specifically, I've been
using 2 ath9k operated cards in one system and my STAs were able to
connect for a short time, but were as well disconnected after at most 5
minutes. Another fact aggravating this problem was using the same SSID
for both AP mode cards.

I suspect using two cards on the same base frequency (i.e. 2GHz) in the
same system (or even in the same range) is a bad thing to do, even if
the channels themselves are not overlapping.

On the other hand, my current setup involves 2 ath9k driven cards, each
with separate SSIDs and on different base frequencies (2GHz and 5GHz)
which doesn't show any of these problems and indeed is running fine,
from what I can tell.

Every now and then my laptop will "disconnect" from the network and any
connection time out until I manually tell the system to reconnect to the
network or cycle the WLAN card's power (thus forcing a reconnect), but
I'm not entirely sure what's causing it, as I'm not getting any errors
on either my STA (which, granted, is an OS X system and I don't even
know where Apple would log wireless errors but via syslog or in the
Kernel log ring buffer, no one showing any error traces though) or my
AP. Weirdly it does only seem to happen when streaming a video file over
NFS, so I'm reluctant to blame it on the 2 cards setup. :)

Best regards,

Mihai